The below scholarships only apply to the Delegates that have been chosen to attend Florida American Legion Boys State for the current year.
- 17 Delegates will be selected to be interviewed for the two Boys Nation Senator spots.
- There is no application process for Boys Nation, as the chosen Boys Nation senators are based upon exceptional performance during the week of Florida Boys State. Both the selected senators and alternates are announced at the Closing Ceremony on the final day of the program.
The Samsung Group, an international electronics company, endowed a scholarship fund of $5 million to be administered by The American Legion, to show appreciation to U.S. veterans who came to the aid of Korea during its struggle against communist forces during the Korean War.
Scholarships are awarded based on academic record, involvement in school and community activities, and financial need. Applicants are eligible if they are high school juniors, are selected as delegates to attend Boys State or Girls State, and are direct descendants (e.g., child, grandchild, legally adopted child) of a U.S. veteran who served during a period of war.
The size and number of scholarships awarded each year is dependent upon the amount of income derived from the fund. Recently, ten boys and girls nationally each received a $20,000 scholarship.
To apply for the Samsung Scholarship you must be a registered Delegate of Florida Boys State for the current Boys State session. This link will take you to the Samsung Scholarship Online Application (http://www.legion.org/samsung-scholarship-application)
Note: In order to apply for this scholarship, you will have to register yourself on Legion.org before getting access to the online application.
LANCE CPL. ANDREW J. AVILES SCHOLARSHIP
- Five Boys State participants will receive a scholarship to attend FSU for four years, however it will not cover the full tuition. FSU is in the process of developing the scholarship and its guidelines. Please check back for updates!
BOB & GAIL KNIGHT SCHOLARSHIP
- Through the generosity of Bob & Gail Knight, two scholarships of $250 each are awarded to the two runner-up winners of the Samsung Scholarship using the same criteria required by the Samsung Scholarship
BILLY ANDERSON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
- This $1,000 scholarship is awarded to one Delegate from either the Samsung Scholarship or Lance Cpl. Andrew J. Aviles Scholarship group of applicants who does not win either of those scholarships.
- Through the generosity of Rick Davison, a $500 scholarship will be awarded to one applicant from either the Samsung Scholarship or Lance Cpl. Andrew J. Aviles Scholarship pool who does not win either of those particular scholarships.
RYAN & KYLENE GAY SCHOLARSHIP
- Through the generosity of Ryan & Kylene Gay, this $250 scholarship is awarded to an outstanding citizen who serves in the Boy State Press Corps.