The American Legion is seeking a qualified and committed individual to supervise the Department Veterans Service Division. The American Legion of Washington is a non-profit Veterans Service Organization chartered by the US Congress in 1919. It is committed to serving veterans and their families, our local communities and the United States of America.
The primary office is located in the Henry M. Jackson Federal Building in Seattle, WA. There are multiple subordinate offices located throughout the state.
The Department Service Officer is the Director of The American Legion Service Division responsible for a wide range of professional level work including the supervision and administration of the veterans service program throughout the State of Washington.
- Supervise 16 – 25 full time and part time employees working at various locations throughout the state
- Develop and administer the Department Service Division annual budget
- Represent The American Legion at federal, state and community meetings
- Provide advice and assistance to veterans and their family members regarding VA benefits and programs
- Research, prepare and present written and oral arguments before the Board of Veterans’ Appeals Adjudication Officers in Seattle
- Participate in 12 annual District conferences, annual Department Mid-Winter conference, annual Department convention, annual National convention, National training seminars and other meetings/conferences throughout the state and nation
- Develop and manage the veterans’ service officer training program
- Act as the Department Commander’s representative to the US Department of Veterans Affairs and the Washington Department of Veterans Affairs
- Oversee Washington State contracts with the Service Division of The American Legion Department of Washington
- Oversee all other contracts between other agencies and the Service Division of The American Legion Department of Washington
The successful applicant will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities gained though education and experience to excel in the areas of program administration, personnel supervision, management and budget planning and oversight. Training pertaining to VA case law and VA benefits programs will be provided. The candidate should possess the following attributes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong leadership abilities
- Ability to apply quality standards effectively
- Ability to prepare and administer budgets
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experienced with common word processing, spreadsheet and presentation computer programs including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with executive managers
How to Apply:
Mail, FAX or email resume and letter of interest to The American Legion Department of Washington, PO Box 3917, Lacey, WA 98509-3917; FAX (360) 491-7442 or email@example.com.
Final Date to Apply:
Resumes must be received at the Department of Washington office no later than September 20, 2019.
- This is a salaried position that may require occasional work beyond normal office hours and on weekends.
- Travel by airplane and automobile is required to fulfill the requirements of this position.
- The incumbent serves at the direction of the Department of Washington State Commander
The Department Commander has appointed a selection committee to review the résumés, select applicants for interview and conduct the interviews of the candidates. Initial interviews will be conducted in Lacey, WA with subsequent interviews in Seattle, WA, as required.
The salary range for this position is $45,000- $55,000. Benefits include 401K retirement plan and paid vacation and sick leave. Health, dental and life insurance is available with employee contribution.
Only wartime era veterans eligible for membership in The American Legion can be considered for this position. The American Legion is an equal opportunity employer and actively supports diversity in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and persons over 40 years of age are also encouraged to apply.