LETTER FROM THE DEPARTMENT ADJUTANT
July 21, 2015
During The American Legion, Department of Florida Annual State Convention a Resolution was adopted to increase membership dues. I wanted to take a moment to review with you the two significant reasons, membership challenges and budgetary concerns, which lead to the adoption of this Resolution.
1. MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGES
Over the past 6 years, The American Legion Department of Florida has suffered a dramatic decrease in membership due to an increase in member death, combined with a reduction in new member recruitment and renewals.
2. BUDGETARY CONCERNS
This potential decrease in membership revenue for the 2015/2016 fiscal year has placed a significant strain on the Department’s annual budget. Any continued reduction in revenue will require scaling back and/or eliminating many programs and services of The American Legion Department of Florida.
Details of the Resolution to increase dues are included below:
· National dues will increase $5.00, from $13.50 to $18.50
· State dues will increase $3.00, from $7.50 to $10.50
· In total, dues will increase $8.00, from $21.00 to $29.00
· This per capita dues increase will take effect on January 20, 2016.
· Posts that pay all dues by December 31, 2015 will avoid the increase for the first year.
· Each Post has the discretion to raise their dues based on the consent of their membership.
· Posts 400 and 208 dues will be raised by $8.00 per member effective January 20, 2016.
As you are well aware, properly caring for our veterans and families is a national imperative. Passing this Resolution allows The American Legion, Department of Florida to continue meeting its obligation to the community, state and nation as articulated in the Preamble of The American Legion Constitution.
Having adopted this Resolution to secure our future, let us now come together to increase membership, and continue serving those who served.
For God and Country,