About the Legion Link
The Legion Link is a monthly newsletter, providing information from The American Legion, Department of Florida leadership to engage and inform members, veterans and other interested persons, of important Department objectives, events, benefits and official Department and National business.
The Legion Link publishes on the first working day of each month, except for July. There is no Legion Link in July.
Who Can Contribute?
Department Officers, Area and District Commanders, Chairs, and Staff may contribute to the Legion Link. Submissions from National, Posts, Legionnaires, Legion Family and any other individuals, may submit an article for consideration, however these articles must be relevant and considered valuable to our readers, and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We reserve the right to refuse any article that we do not deem appropriate or relevant to our readers.
Article Submission Requirements
- Content must be engaging, informative, and/or relevant to The American Legion and the Department of Florida.
- Articles may be submitted using our online submission form, contained within an email, or attached to an email in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Emails should be sent to email@example.com.
- If a piece has already been published elsewhere, please resubmit it as a synopsis or a summary of the original document.
- Be sure to credit any other authors and/or publishers, including references. Sources should be cited in the article.
- The working language of the newsletter is English.
- Although there is no word limit, articles are generally no longer than 1200 words. Longer articles will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The editorial board reserves the right to edit work that has been accepted for publication. The author’s message will not be changed, changes will include grammatical corrections, changes of inaccurate data, omission of unacceptable or irrelevant information.
- The submission deadline is the 15th day of each month, for publication on the 1st of the following month. Any submissions received after the 15th day of the month, will be held for the next publication. Deadlines are firm, unless prior permission has been granted. There is no Legion Link in July.
Photo Submission Requirements
- Photos/Images should be submitted in high resolution format, in one of the following file types: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tiff, .pdf.
- Photos/Images must be sent separately and not embedded with the article. They may be sent using our online submission tool, attached to an email, or emailed link from your personal Gmail or Dropbox account. DVD/CD and flash drives are also acceptable, if received prior to the deadline.
- All professional photos should be given proper accreditation. Please cite the photographer’s name and affiliation.
- Please follow these guidelines when taking photos of children:
- You must receive consent from the parent, guardian or caregiver of any child or young person up the age of 18, especially if they are clearly recognizable in an image.
- Be sensitive when taking photos of children with disabilities.
- Be inclusive. Include images of people from all different ethnic communities, backgrounds, sex and socio-economic status.
- Exercise caution at all times to make sure that only images of children in suitable attire are taken.