If you would like to post an event, please click here. All events are subject to approval.
- This event has passed.
NATIONAL FORMER PRISONER OF WAR RECOGNITION DAY
April 9, 2016 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Good Day, Vietnam Brotherhood!
9 April 1942 – The Bataan Death March Begins
- 100,000 Military personnel surrender to Japan’s Imperial Army in the battle for Corregidor. They are force marched 63 miles up the peninsula of Bataan.
- 54,000 arrive at POW Camp O’Donnell.
- 10,000 were killed in route – the rest escaped into the jungle.
9 April 2016 – National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day
We will gather to pay our respect to and honor all those who became a Prisoner of War in the course of defending our Liberties. We will pay our respect to and confirm to the families of our Missing in Action that we, the American public, will NOT Forget their sacrifices and will continue our efforts to ensure we Leave NO Man Behind.
3602 North Hwy. 301
Tampa, Florida 33619
TIME: 0930 hrs. – Meet & Greet commences on the grounds – continental breakfast available (while it lasts)
1030 hrs. – Missing Man Table –
1050 hrs. – Music Prelude – Call to Service
1100 hrs. – Service Begins
- Lt. General Michael Linnington, US Army (Retired), Director of the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency – Will speak on behalf of the Department of Defense and DPAA – http://www.dpaa.mil/
- Mr. Bill Norwood, Former Prisoner of War, Founder of the Korean War Ex-POW Association (http://koreanwarexpow.org/ ), captured 5 April 1951 – repatriated 15 August 1953 – will speak on behalf of all Former Prisoners of War.
- Ms Pam Cain, The National League of Families of American Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia, Board of Directors – Daughter of Colonel Oscar Mauterer, US Air Force, Missing in Action since 15 February 1966 – Will speak on behalf of all Families still waiting for their loved one to come home – http://www.pow-miafamilies.org/
1215 hrs. – Service Concludes
During the course of the Service we will be dedicating Florida’s newest – “POW/MIA Memorial” – with the help of the Hillsborough County JR ROTC
We respectfully request your presence on 9 April 2016 to help celebrate National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day and to assist in the dedication of the new POW/MIA Memorial