Successful Challenge 22 Event
I would like to thank everyone who came out to Post 69 Veterans Expo Challenge 22, Veterans Benefits Fair and K9 Veterans Day on March 13thto support our efforts. It was a great success – we were able to spread the word about the 22 veterans a day committing suicide and everyone that attended this event received a suicide awareness card with the signs and symptoms and the suicide hot line. That phone number is 800-273-8255 and then Press 1.
RECOGINIZE THE SIGNS OF SUICIDE RISK
- Feelings of hopeless, like there is no way out.
- Anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness, mood swings.
- Feeling like there is no reason to live.
- Rage or anger.
- Engaging in risky activities without thinking.
- Increasing alcohol or drugs abuse.
- Withdrawing from family and friends.
- Thinking about hurting or killing themself.
- Looking for ways to kill themself.
- Talking about death, dying or suicide.
- Self-destructive behavior such as drug abuse, weapon, etc.
We also had on site the following organizations to aid veterans and their families.
- Project Vet Relief
- First Orlando Counseling Center
- Veterans Counseling Veterans
- K9 Line
- Wolf Hound Legacy
- Paint 22
- S.O.F. Missions
- VA Suicide Prevention Coordinator
- Project 65
- Challenge 22
- Veterans Alternative
- Hands for Homeless
- Sebring VA Clinic
- And many more.
I would also like to thank Jim Wineland and the 5th District for inviting me to participate in their Challenge 22 event, both events were outstanding. We were able to get donations and were able to help several veterans and their family members.